Smart associations know non-dues revenue is integral to their overall financial stability as well as providing additional member benefits and opportunities. Here are five ideas that will generate more revenue for your association:
- Affinity programs offering associations a percentage of sales dollars, or a fee per sale, leverage an association’s strength in numbers with affinity vendors providing discounted services to members. Typical affinity initiatives include insurance, financial, business and technology services and customized programs meeting specialized industry needs.
- An association professional certification program captures members’ interest in qualifying for a reliable standard of industry expertise. Member certification, testing and renewal fees generate revenue and, if membership is an eligibility requirement, can also attract new members.
- Virtually anything touching members has sponsorship potential, such as expanding advertising opportunities to your online membership directory, website or e-newsletter.
- Offer on-demand printing of association branded promotional items for members, if you have this capability in-house. CMA’s PromoMall can provide these for you.
- Webcast or video your seminars or conference sessions and charge a fee for online access.
Before embarking on any non-dues revenue program, survey members to determine if a market exists. Evaluating net revenue, expected net revenue and resources required for start-up and ongoing administration of the program are also important considerations.
The goal is to create value for your members and supporters without raising dues. The key is to select methods that are low cost, high yield and require minimal resources and execution time. Be creative and make non-dues revenue count.
CMA Association Management can help in all of these areas, contact us at 800-852-4269 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.